About Me

My photo
Contemporary and Candid with an Elegant Style Photography and Custom Design

Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer Fun | KE365 | D87

My nieces were in town for Day 87 and we headed to the water park for a couple of hours of summer fun. These three are little balls of energy and I love photographing them when they have a million things thrown at them because they actually settle down and take it all in which gives me some great portrait opportunities. This is the case for Siena and Kailyn at least, Natalie is almost like a little model and just sits there posing for you, it's just too easy with her 98% of the time. She is a doll. Okay maybe I'm biased, but they are all dolls.



Siena is such a smarty that while the rest of us were burning our feet on the scalding sand, she crawled under the turtle sculpture and played with the sand where it was much cooler! The scalding sand is probably also why Kailyn took a minute to chill out in the shade in the middle shot above.

I took this next shot (two down) for nostalgic reasons. While I don't remember the exact occasion, I do remember the photo and of course the stories of taking the photo. When I was young, a little younger than Kailyn is now we were at the beach on a family vacation. My mom was posing us for a family shot (as she often did =) ) and apparently I didn't have the same idea. I refused to cooperate and ended up clapping sand in everyone's face in the image.

 Photographed by Sharon Lawrence
My mom was upset over it, she hated it. However, years later it's turned into one of her favorite images. It is hilarious, the reactions from my brothers and sister were priceless. This is one of my favorite images of me with all my brothers and sister of all time. I think my mom managed to capture our personalities perfectly even though we weren't all in favor of taking the picture.



As you can tell my daughter was not in favor of taking a picture or about being 'posed' in an image, which is often the case for my daughter. This is the exact reason why so much of what I do is candid, she has pushed me into it because I still want beautiful images of my daughter. She has changed my eye for photography. So many of my jobs in the past required strictly posed images and while I had no problems with it there always seemed to be something missing with the final product. Reality. True Emotion. Even though the above photo was 'posed' (thanks "papa" a.k.a. dad for inserting Kailyn in shot), I love it because she still has true emotion and it is reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment